Sunday, January 7, 2007

Miami Vice "B"

They’ve Got Eyes On Us!

I love Michael Mann films. But I didn’t really have any desire to see “Miami Vice”, so I waited. But as a filmmaker I needed to see this film.

I heard about the production delays in 2005 especially when Hurricane Katrina hit. I had also heard about the unfriendly locations (gunfire anyone?). Hell, I had even heard of the 80’s TV show (actually I hated that show) which Michael Mann created and produced. But somehow I always equated that Michael Mann with a different Michael Mann, if you get my drift.

For those of you that liked the TV show you will find the only similarities are the title, the names of the detectives and that it’s in Miami. That’s it. That’s a pretty good deal for me. A bloated Colin Farrell plays Sonny Crockett and Jamie Foxx plays Rico Tubbs (way to parlay that Oscar) as speedboat racing, Ferrari driving detectives in Miami (still don’t get that). But you know what? The story is weak and Colin Farrell’s love interest Gong Li is absolutely unbelievable and terrible, so I will stop there.

The only reason I gave this film a “B” is because of the technical prowess in filmmaking that is on display here. Not only does this film look extraordinarily beautiful but the editing and sound are pitch perfect as well. Michael Mann’s use of HD cameras along with film has really set his visual style apart from most filmmakers working today. Cinematographer Dion Beebe (Oscar winner for “Memoirs of a Geisha”) has captured the ocean at it’s most breathtaking. I don’t think I have ever seen the ocean look so vast and lush before. He makes it look surreal and almost candy like.

Nobody stages a shoot out better than Michael Mann. His claim to fame is the massive shoot out in “Heat” and he doesn’t disappoint here. The sound is so real that you actually think you are there getting shot at. I don’t know why other filmmakers don’t pick up on his technique. Oh, well.

So if you want to see a gorgeous example of filmmaking technique then see this film. If you can get past a so-so story and a preening Colin Farrell then see this film. If you can’t then see it anyway.

No comments: