Saturday, December 23, 2006

Golden Globes - 2007 Best Film Noms

Ah, Those Globes . . . .
Well, the award season comes early this year! Thank God, I mean the campaigning will last only two months instead of what seems like six.

The Golden Globes, (January 15th, 2007) are given out by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association and as Jeremy Piven said on “Entourage”, “When the fucking Hollywood Foreign Press calls, you fucking jump!”.
Ha! I love that show.


Now for those of you who know me, you know that I’m not much of a TV watcher but I have been recording more shows with my TiVO this year (the only way I can watch network TV) but I have also watched more HBO and Showtime shows so I will comment on the TV stuff in another post.

For those of you that don’t know the Golden Globes have been a pretty accurate barometer of Oscar noms and wins for a number of years (except best pic), get your head out of your ass and pay attention!

I will try a new format this year. I will list the noms by category and then comment on each one. This could get long. So here goes . . . .

Best Motion Picture - Drama
Babel - No surprise here. This is one of the best films of this and any year. See my review here.
Bobby - This was the surprise of the bunch. I didn’t see this yet, but the buzz is all about the Altmanesque performances. Director Emilio Estevez (yes, the Young Mighty Duck Gun) was so surprised he jumped a flight to celebrate with daddy in person.
The Departed - It got nominated because it’s a Martin Scorsese mob film with stunning acting.
See my review here.
Little Children - I didn’t see this one either but the buzz is amazing. People say that Kate Winslet is brilliant. My question is when is she not? Patrick Wilson is a great young actor as well. Check out his performance in “Hard Candy” See my "Hard Candy" review here.
The Queen - Didn’t see it, won’t see it. I’m soooo tired of the old British actresses getting nominated for every damn thing they do. What, is Helen Mirren the next Judi Dench??

The winner?
Babel - It has certainly generated the most buzz and controversy which are the right ingredients for success.

Best Motion Picture - Comedy or Musical
Borat - Saw the trailer and was irritated then. If this the future of movies then I’m screwed.
The Devil Wears Prada - Anne Hathaway looking hot in designer clothes? Count me in. Meryl Streep playing a cold hearted, ruthless bitch? Count me in. The story? Count me out. See my review here.
Dreamgirls - What a film and what a devastatingly breathtaking performance by Jennifer Hudson. There is great buzz, could it be another “Chicago”?
See my review here.

Little Miss Sunshine -
Great cast. Toni Collette is an amazing actress, one of my fav’s. The movie had me on the floor laughing. Every one was perfectly cast and very natural. See my review here.
Thank You for Smoking - Great social satire and very funny. Altman’s recent movies should have been like this. Aaron Eckhart oozes smarmy charm. See my review here.

The winner?
Dreamgirls - “Chicago” redux, with a better story.
Who do I want to win?
Little Miss Sunshine - What a beautifully made, funny, endearing, dysfunctional and tragic film.

Animated feature film? Who cares. “Cars” probably.

Best Foreign Language Film
Apocalypto - Another Mel masterpiece. The violence is extremely disturbing. You can see how he can just snap . . . .
Letters From Iwo Jima - Clint Eastwood’s companion piece to “Flags of Our Fathers”. They say it’s a masterpiece. We’ll see. By the way it’s all in Japanese hence it’s inclusion in this category.
The Lives of Others - Don’t know anything about this one except it’s German. No interest whatsoever.
Pan’s Labyrinth - Supposedly stunning and dare I say original piece of filmmaking?!? Hasn’t opened here yet. When it does I am so there.
Volver - Supposed to Pedro Almodovar’s masterpiece, okay . . . can you make something without Penelope Cruz? Or more accurately, can she make a good film without you?

The winner?
Letters From Iwo Jima - Clint only gets better and the world loves him!

Overall, a pretty good year for films. Many think this year has been weak. But I say, don’t get distracted by the pretty blinking lights and popcorn.

Up next: Golden Globe Noms for actors and actresses.

No comments: